GrowCare has been established to provide you with:
• Easy access to weather data from your local area;
• Timely information on the risk of weather-driven diseases and pests like downy mildew and bunch rots of grapes, rust of almonds and other stonefruit, brown rot of stonefruit, and (yet to come) black spot of apples and pears.
GrowCare uses established networks of automatic weather stations (AWS) at strategic locations or private weather stations contributing data of the correct format in your local region.
GrowCare provides some resources without the user subscribing with payment:
• Recent Bureau of Meteorology weather observations and forecasts for your location
• A wide range of general information
• Other resources that you might find helpful
Further features are available for subscribers. As of late February 2018, with the 2017-18 season mostly finished, we've opened these up to all users until June 2018.
• Recent weather observations from any AWS, shown on a graph
• Disease modelling information calculated from weather data, for current and previous seasons for a range of crop diseases
• SMS and email alerts sent to you when an infection is predicted from your nearest AWS.
These alerts will generally save the grapegrower-user at least one spray per season. At around $100 per hectare per spray in say, a 30ha vineyard, the user will gain a minimum saving of around $3,000 per season.
To achieve these gains, subscribers for season 2017-18 were provided access to the entire website, including email and SMS disease alerts, for just $99.